Bruce[2].jpg (4158 bytes)
Bruce Roberts-Goodson

Illustrated Custom Boatbuilding.
We recommend that you read
 this hardcover book - Order now
 and we will pay the postage.

LONGBOAT 21 / 25 .. Now over 1,500 completed.




69. 00 - $99.00 - 79.00

 click on  79.00 BUY NOW BUTTON



99.00 - us$139.00 - 114.00



COMPLETE BOAT PLANS & FULL SIZE FRAME PATTERNS ... Delivered by DOWNLOAD to your computer within 12 hours of you placing your order.  The plans have all the information you need to build your own boat. Each plan contains all the construction drawings for WOOD EPOXY construction, plus bonus drawings covering electrical, plumbing and engineering.


Plus you will receive a DETAIL FOLIO showing how to make many of your own boat fittings, lists of materials and equipment, all technical information, numerous construction drawings and written building instructions are all included.


You can view & print the drawings in full or in sections. BUILDING PHOTOS are included in the plan package. PLUS you receive a FREE ( VALUE 69.00 ) e-book BUILD YOUR OWN SAILBOAT. Only available at this price if you order off this page.





and click on  €195.00  BUY NOW BUTTON

Your plans and CUTTING FILES will be sent to you by

DOWNLOAD to your computer.




Boat plans now include both 21 ft & 25ft versions.
boat plans & Frame patterns for FIBERGLASS construction. Note: If you would like to build a METAL or PLYWOOD version of this boat then look at the following :  Coastworker 25 and Waverunner 25 which can be shortened if you wish.

Boat plans now include both 21 ft & 25ft versions.This is an extremely economical, safe and seaworthy vessel. Designed when the world was in the grips of oil shortages and the demand for small seaworthy displacement cruiser and fishing boats was at it's peak, this design gained instant acceptance.

Still immensely popular after 25 years, as their current resale price reflects, over 1,200 of this design have been built and are currently in service in all parts of the world from Alaska to Australia and beyond. You can build the Longboat 21 as a Family Cruiser with emphasis on accommodation, or as the Fisherman Version with a clear deck for work. The boat plans and Full Size Patterns are available for C-Flex, Airex or Balsa Sandwich.

L.O.D. 7.62 m or 6.40 m 25'-0" or 21'-0"
L.W.L. 6.58 m or 5.63 m 22'-6" or 18'-6"
BEAM 2.44 m 8'-0"
DRAFT 0.61 m 2'-0"
Longboat-TARDIS.jpg (28551 bytes) LONGBOAT 21-25
Cruiser Version

March 1996
Bruce, Please find attached a picture of TARDIS (bitmap format) in Hinchinbrook Channel Far North Queensland. It's a great boat and we go everywhere in her. Power is a Nissan sd22 driving a 16x14 prop through a 2.5:1 reduction box. Max speed is 8 Knots cruise at7.2 knots at 1900 rpm which is very economical.

In rougher weather we quite often beat tinnies back from the reef (They have white knuckles and we have a beer sitting on the engine box). Thanks for a great design. I have the building bug again. Could you send me the price of 310 boat plans in glass. KIND REGARDS ALLAN BLAIR  Innisfail Qld Australia.

I am the bloke who built "Tardis" Longboat 21 which is on your website. Unfortunately we had to change the name just after it was launched as there was confusion about us and a commercial vessel with the same name. It is called "Ruby Tuesday". It is still going strong but I would like something a bit bigger. The longboat is a fantastic little sea boat. it is going to break my heart the day I sell her. I have attached another recent picture of Ruby on her way out to the reef. She is now 13 years old and still looks as new. Always garaged on a Roberts trailer and has never been antifouled.
 Kind Regards Allan Blair

Dear Mr. Roberts,

I recently purchased a Bruce Roberts-designed Longboat 21 from the builder, Dr. Peter Irvine of Chicago and Sister Bay, Wisconsin.  Dr. Irvine constructed the boat with an Airex core and mahogany trim work throughout. It is truly an amazing boat with excellent durability, economy and sea-worthiness.  Dr. Irvine used the boat for fishing and cruising on Lake Michigan and I am currently using the boat on Lake Hickory in North Carolina and will soon cruise the ICW along NC and South Carolina coast.

I have attached a recent picture of the "Favrile" for your use as you see fit.  According to Dr. Irvine, "Favrile" is green Tiffany glass. Thanks in advance for your response. Ted Bost, Jr
lb21-01[1].jpg (7721 bytes)

lb21-02[1].jpg (8978 bytes)

Cruiser Version


lb21-03[1].jpg (13854 bytes)

lb21-04[1].jpg (13721 bytes)

Cruiser Version
lb21-06[1].jpg (10205 bytes) LONGBOAT 21-25
Cruiser Version

This family cruiser Longboat 21 has had the cabin extended and fully curtained by the owner/builder.

lb21-05[1].jpg (14768 bytes) LONGBOAT 21-25
Cruiser Version

This particular boat was built at Marine Park, Brisbane and "sailed" on its own bottom across the Coral Sea to New Guinea.

See full details of this trip on the STUDY boat plans on USB

lb21-07[1].jpg (9907 bytes) LONGBOAT 21-25
Fisherman Version
lb21-08[1].jpg (15201 bytes) LONGBOAT 21-25
Fisherman Version

Fishing boat versions of this boat
are in service throughout the world.

lb21-09[1].jpg (25564 bytes) LONGBOAT 21-25
Fisherman Version

Hi Bruce, Here is a photo of my Longboat 21 ...  I fished on and with for many years, what the owner called a Roberts 21.

I always thought that because it was home built and the owner/builder name was Robert that he made the boat himself. Now after seeing your site, it was, by the pictures, a Longboat 21. 

If it was, the story goes, that the man in his 50's and his mother built the boat in their front yard in the winter, between fishing seasons. It was a safe, easy riding, tough sea boat!  Thanks, James


Brisbane to Port Moresby in a Roberts LB21 - 2580 nautical miles

Well, here I am back home forty – six days after leaving Brisbane. My Roberts Longboat "MUTA" has covered 2580 nautical miles in that time and another 960 to date.

The trip up the Queensland coast saw some rough weather, as did the crossing of the Coral Sea from Cairns to Samarai. Several times I was caught by 30 knot winds and it was only the innate design and exceptional strength of "MUTA" that saved the day.

The vessel has far more sea sense than any other boat I have owned and I have no doubt at all that few other boats of this size could have handled the voyage.

As you can see from my log after departing Tingalpa Creek on 30th October 1980,myself and Robin Muir took two days and one night to get to Bundaberg. The lighthouse keeper at Sandy Cape was of great assistance in crossing Break Sea Spit, and VH4-ATT waited up till after midnight with coffee and sandwiches in Bundaberg and also organised a berth for us for the night. People like this are the ones that keep boating safe and a joy to all those with whom they come in contact.

We remained in Bundaberg for a day and then left and got caught in a storm off Gladstone when we had to turn tail and run back to Port Curtis. With the autohelm handling the steering and the "MUTA" handling the seas, we got inside Port Curtis and anchored at midnight. The trip up the "NARROWS" the next day with 3ft of water and 2ft 6ins of draught was a slow one but calm after the previous night.

Roslyn Bay, our next stop, was a pleasant surprise with the canteen selling excellent takeaway food and ice. We were here for three days and met another Roberts Longboat owner who uses his vessel regularly to get out to the Barrier Reef. We were fortunate to be allowed to use the Yacht Club showers and toilets and be generally made to feel at home by the caretakers. After several days, the weather cleared and we moved on up the coast in beautiful conditions passing Shoalwater Bay and moved into the Whitsundays in calm seas and, regretting our lack of time, moved on to Bowen.

In Bowen, Robin Muir left to return to New Guinea as his leave was over and I met typical North Queensland hospitality in the form of Warren and Norma McEwan from Mackay on the yacht "CARELLA". Their big white steel ketch was huge compared to the "MUTA" and the three of us shopped around Bowen and talked boats until the wee hours.

I stayed there for three days and then departed for the first leg of the voyage by myself. I picked a bad day and about nine o’clock the wind started rising and by the time I reached Cape Bowling Green I was looking forward to making a safe anchorage behind Cape Upstart.

Owing to the size of the waves and the low level of one of the fuel tanks, the engine got air in the injector pump and I took almost 45 minutes to change tanks and bleed the engine. Most of the time was spent holding on as "MUTA" was battered by the waves. During this time, only once did I get any water on board, this was the foamy crest of a particularly large wave. Two hours later, when I anchored behind Cape Upstart, I was still shaking.

The next few days were also rough and I passed Townsville and anchored in Pioneer Bay on Orpheus Island and the day after I moved on to Dunk Island. Almost everything on Dunk Island placarded "House Guests Only" and I couldn’t buy a cold drink there. From about 2000 hours onwards I was watching a chap on a small 20ft CATAMARAN about a mile off the island. When it got to 1730 hours I decided he may be in trouble although he wasn’t showing any signs of distress. I pulled in the anchor and went out and one of his hulls had become detached from the platform at the stern and he was unable to sail it back to Dunk. A tow saw him safely ashore and that was my good deed for the day.

I arrived in Cairns the next afternoon after a long beautiful day but couldn’t get ashore because my inflatable dinghy had sprung a leak. However, the next day saw me hitching a ride ashore where I stayed with new found friends for three days. The Buellers looked after me like family and Peter Bueller volunteered to crew for the next leg across the Coral Sea, which is just as well as the first night out of Cairns through Fitzroy Passage saw the autopilot going u/s. We stood three hour shifts for the next 65 hours when by my only good sight and dead reckoning I put myself 6 hours off the New Guinea Coast. We were both very tired and the sea was by now calm for the first time so I put out the sea anchor and drifted for seven hours and had a good sleep. Next morning 25/11/80 at 1100 we sighted land at Amazon Bay and travelled along the New Guinea coastline that afternoon and night to the east, arriving in Samarai at 0800 and took care to anchor downwind from Customs. That afternoon, Peter left on a plane for Port Moresby and on to Cairns and I stayed on in Samarai area for three days and rewatered, refuelled and recovered. Samarai was very friendly and the people at Belesana Slipways provided showers and fresh water at no charge.

On leaving Belesana, the weather continued fine with light south-easterly winds. Over the next three days I travelled north-westerly up the New Guinea Coast, hand-steering now by myself and trying to make a good landfall each afternoon by 2000 hours and departing the next morning at 0600; nine hours non-stop at the wheel through those reef-infested waters is about all I could handle. Every day I saw large schools of porpoises, mackerel, tuna and the odd shark.

Anchoring each night in a supposedly uninhabited area, I was soon surrounded by canoes full of wide-eyed children, who were content to sit and stare at me for several hours. Luckily, in Cairns, I bought up large quantities of sweets for just such occasions and I was able to send the kids back to their villages munching happily. Many of them would not have had lollies before.

On 4/12/80 I entered Tufi Fiords and tied up at the fisheries wharf to meet Trevor Bell, the Fisheries Officer there and his wife Dorothy. I stayed with the Bells for two nights, topped up my tanks and headed off on 7/12/80 for Lae, some 240 miles distant. This leg took four days and I was running before a S.E. swell. Each night I anchored in a coral lagoon and two nights running was kept awake by dugongs cavorting about the boat and bumping it.

On the last day, entering Lae, I was held up for 30 minutes by a large school of whales that I took for pilot whales. They surrounded the boat and I couldn’t move for fear of hitting one of them. Many had calves with them, the calves coming up against the hull and rolling against it. Their dorsal fin was black, as was their body, but had a peculiar wart-like growth on the top of the fin. Eventually, they moved off and I continued into Lae where I stayed for three nights becoming a social creature again.

On 13/12/80, I set out for Kimbe on my final leg. The run up to Fincheschaven was uneventful and I anchored in a small bay full of wartime wrecks beside an abandoned airstrip and made ready for the crossing of the Vitiaz Straits. The Vitiaz are renowned for their rough weather and seas caused by strong currents running from the Bismark to the Coral Sea contrary to wind direction.

The day started well but rapidly deteriorated with irregular seas, peaking in all directions. I was battened down and the spray and light rain hampered visibility to the extent that I steered on D-reckoning for four hours for the tiny Nessep Island marking the only navigable passage into the Dampier Straights. Wind speed increased and the white water and foam streaks made reefs invisible.

The vessel thrived in these seas as only a displacement hull can and at 1130 I was abeam Nessup Island and guessed the 200 yard gap in the reef correctly. All through the Dampier Straights the sea continued slightly abated and even when I eventually anchored behind a reef near a village called Sag Sag, the waves were thumping down on the beach. I slept from 2000 to 2100 when I was awakened by a discreet coughing to be told by a young girl that she wanted to "marry" me. Carnal pursuits being fairly well back on the agenda of desires at this time, I sent her off with some lollies to await the next unsuspecting traveller. I was trapped in this area for two nights when the wind eventually dropped and I departed on the afternoon of 16/12/80. But at 2000 that night the winds came up again and I steered nonstop from then till 1220 the next day before able to see. I estimated Cape Holman Lighthouse at 1230 and it appeared at 1235. Much to my relief, on rounding the Cape, the seas dropped and I raised Kimbe Base on 27.91mz directly. They had me on relay through Australian Volunteer Stations for the whole trip so Kimbe knew I was getting close. By 1900 that night I had the end in sight and at 2000 hours I tied up to our wharf, the voyage over. Many people were there and celebrations and tall tales and true were spun far into the night.

In retrospect, it is not a voyage to be lightly undertaken and the planning for it took several months. Obviously, a sound vessel and a reliable motor are essentials but probably the most crucial factor is the ability to recognize your limits and not to carry on regardless in the face of danger. A 21ft vessel has limitations and battleships have been lost in rough seas. The Longboat has had nothing but praise for all who see her and the proof of the pudding was in the eating.

With high regards and many thanks,
Dennis F. Scott.